If you tend to shy away from Peanut Butter Cookies because they are typically too crunchy then this IS definitely the recipe for YOU. If you prefer your cookies a bit more crispy, just flatten with a fork & bake a little longer. My favorite peanut butter cookies are crunchy around the edges and slightly crispy & yet soft at the same time in the middle, reminiscent of the cookies made by my Great Grandmother. When we’d visit, she always sent them home with us “care-package” style; the cookies were always carefully wrapped in waxed paper & lovingly placed in various tins. Unfortunately, I do not have this recipe and I’ve been on a quest recently searching for & baking many different peanut butter cookie recipes in hopes to find the one that comes closest to the peanut butter cookies of my childhood.
This recipe yields a very different texture than the one I’m seeking, however the use of honey & shortening piqued my interest enough to give it a try and the results are different enough than recipes I’ve tried that I feel it’s worth sharing. Some of my favorite recipes are those than can be “easily” modified resulting in several dozen “different” cookies from one batch. From this recipe, I made peanut butter, peanut butter chocolate chip, and sugar coated peanut butter chocolate chip (a 4th option is sugar coated peanut butter). Most of the time, the ideas for the variations come to me, last minute as I’m baking so by the time I thought of rolling them in sugar, I had already added the mini-chocolate chips. As if it isn’t obvious by the photographs, my favorite cookie is the style that was made by rolling the dough into a ball, then rolling the dough ball in sugar.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter*
- 1 cup honey*
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- optional: 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
*I used peanut butter made from freshly ground peanuts AND honey from bee boxes ~both from the bulk food area at Winco Foods. Raleys also has a peanut butter machine.
- Mix the shortening, peanut butter and honey in a bowl. Add eggs and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly add to peanut butter mixture and mix well. (optional: add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips)
- Roll into 1- to 1-1/2-in. balls. (optional: roll in sugar)
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. (optinal: Flatten with a fork dipped in flour. If rolled in sugar, you may not need to dip the fork in flour.)
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes.
Source: recipe adpated from Taste of Home